Saturday, February 3, 2018

February is Purple!

Participants in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are playing with our purple scraps for the month of February. Our intrepid leader, Angela, has assigned purple and lavender as our focus this month. It never ceases to amaze me how I can pretty much clear out my scraps one year, but by the time that color rolls around the following year, there are so many bits and bobs to play with. This year I’ve been adding in large chunks and fat quarters that have sat unloved or unused in my stash for many, many years. Cue the theme music for Rawhide here as I paraphrase:

“Move ‘em on, Cut ‘em up, 
Ride ‘em in, Head ‘em out...... RAWHIDE!  Our Scraps!

Ye-haw!  Ok. I’m over it now. 

So, purple.

First up were my Linked Squares Blocks. I did three of them this month, using the entire range of purples from red-purples to blue-purples. These blocks finish at 16.


I wasn’t sure how I was liking these until I put all my blocks together. There are the three purples, plus last month’s two blues. What’s with the one green one, you ask? It was the very first test block that I made to see if my pattern was correct. I’ll make more green ones when that color month rolls around. But this gives us an idea of what they will all look like together. I will need 20 total.  

And next I made four 8.5” (unfinished) string blocks for my Never-ending String Quilt that I started back in 2016.
All I have left to do with this string quilt is to make 2 orange blocks (to finish the orange foursome) and then one other large 4-part block in red or green.  This is so close that I may turn it into a monthly goal in March.  

Bruce and I are leaving Thursday to vacation in Arizona with family for a week or two. Our return is rather open-ended because we don’t have to rush home for anything. My brother is staying at the house to take care of the cats. Anyway, I won’t be around for the next couple Saturday link-ups unless I can borrow a relative’s computer. The iPad I’m taking is notoriously useless in Blogger edit mode (it won’t scroll, which they’ve known about for years but have never deigned to fix). So it’s unlikely I will post while I’m gone. But I always take lots of pictures, so I’ll catch you up when I get back.

Happy February!!

13 comments:

  1. Love your linked squares! Have a good time in AZ. Are you taking any sewing with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blocks look great together. I find when working with strings that it can take a long time to make enough blocks to complete a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy your Linked Squares Blocks looks so modern and bright together, love to see all of them together. And your purple string blocks are great. I made some of them this week too. Have a great and safe trip and enjoy your vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those Linked Squares look really neat! They are a fun discovery - I've never seen them before. Your string blocks look great, too! Enjoy Arizona! I've been trying to talk Mike into a spur of the moment trip down there (my mom lives in Mesa), but he hasn't taken me up on it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun in AZ! And thanks for the earworm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was just me who couldn't get blogger to work on the ipad! The linked squares look great all together. Hope you have some sewing to carry along on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to see how mixing in extra colors can do wonders? I have the iPad edit problem on my new one. So I use my old one to type the post, then add the photos in the new one and post it. That's why I can't add any new sidebar gadgets to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your linked up squares look great together! Some blocks really do look best when the different colors are mixed together and I think that one will look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I've got Rawhide stuck in my head :)

    Your Linked blocks look great! They definitely need friends around them to show their full potential. With the ones you've shown, the small center square of black/white really pops out. In a single block, I don't see the center as easily.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your vacation. Color me jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s good to see how your blue purples and red purples play together. I kept rejecting my red purples thinking maybe I should throw them in the maroon scraps, but now I see that they will be fine. I like your linked squares, but I’m In love with your purple strings! So much variety!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Purple - yay! My second favourite colour. Will be fun to see what you create this month. Enjoy your hard-earned vacation - hope the weather is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!