Saturday, January 21, 2017

Purple Scraps and a Finish. And a Start.

Is it February yet?

Just kidding! I’m not done with my purple scraps yet for January, but I think they have just about done me. The problem is that I have so many solid and batik purples left over from the Magic Carpet quilt and the Cityscape quilt that the sameness is getting to me. But I am persevering!

This is what I got done this week, purple-wise. To see other purple-y goodness, join us at Angela’s So Scrappy blog for Rainbow Scrap Saturday.

First up, Cynthia Brunz’ lovely block pattern, Geese Migration. Using simple squares and flying geese, I couldn’t resist making two. These weren’t in my original plans, but plans are meant to be changed, right?


Then, to dig a bit further into the 2.5” scraps, I made 11 plus blocks.


And another unplanned block (SQUIRREL!!) was this foray into bow-ties, thanks to seemingly half the RSC ladies who are doing (or have done) these. I had never made bow-tie blocks before, and oh my are these fun! I finally stopped at 38.

Because of getting side-tracked, I didn’t finish all my Friendship Star variation blocks. But they will be done by next week, and I will show them then. I also hope to use my purple  crumbs and 1.5” pieces to sew up a purple slab or two for future use.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This week I also quilted the Cool Blue Green Improv block quilt, which was one of my many 2016 Rainbow Scrap projects.


This was comprised of my blue, teal, green and purple (cool colors) improv blocks from last year. The blocks finished at 8” and are set 7x7. With the sashing, it finishes at 72x72”.  The backing is a hodgepodge of blue and green fat quarters and large scraps.  The batting was Frankenpieced from strips of leftover Warm and Plush, my go-to batting that I buy by the 25-yard roll.


The quilting was very simple; wavy lines using my walking foot. I used the long wavy stitch on my Bernina, setting it to maximum length and width.  They are NOT supposed to be equal distant apart, but rather four vertical lines per column and then one in each of the sashes. The waves got off here and there as my foot pedal cord kept shorting out. I am taking it to be repaired or replaced this week.

This was my First Quarter Finish Along Goal #3 and my second finish of the quarter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
For those of you who just visit on Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I wrote a post yesterday about our recent living room remodel. It shows the before and after photos. I know some of you may be interested and some not, so I decided to do it in a separate post. If you are interested, the post is HERE.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Darla has been my constant companion lately, especially in the studio. These were taken on Wednesday or Thursday, when she felt it was time to really step up her game.

Mom, that ruler isn’t lined up correctly!

Wait! You need to sew another line and then trim in between to get 2 HSTs.

What kind of thread are you using? I’d better check this out. 

Sewing time is over! It’s Kitty Loving Time now!

Later, when I was back in the studio without The Supervisor, I got to sewing on the quilt I will make to take to one of my BILs in AZ next month. Yep, a simple Disappearing 9-patch.  All the big blocks are sewn, trimmed and pressed. About half are cut up and shown below.


The original plan was to have some sort of pattern, but it became obvious as I used random pieces and fat quarters from my stash, that a pattern was not going to develop. I still don`t know what the final layout will be, but I should be able to find something a bit more exciting than the hodgepodge above. But it will be the 11 blocks across as shown and then 13 rows down. Also, the blue is really more of a teal, but that doesn’t translate well with the camera.

And there you have it - my sewing adventures for the week. I can’t wait to see what everyone else has been doing!

Cathy maroon

15 comments:

  1. So many fun projects! I have the same "squirrel" problem. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your fabulous improv quilt. It is fabulous. Looks like lots of other great projects in the works too. Busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on this wonderful finish. Love the improv quilt and it is inspiring me. Hmmm! Food for thoughts here. Darla is really a little darling. You are lucky that she adopted you. Too cute! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Gosh Cathy, you have been busy, so many lovely colours and blocks and quilts and projects to see here. I have to say my favourite pictures are the kitty helper. Looks like you both are having FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the finish! You are moving right along on your goals. Good for you.
    I'm making bow ties too...I started on them last year. And when I started on them again this year...ooops, I cut the flippy corner pieces a little small but didn't notice until I put them in the box with last years. It will be okay.
    And that's why all my cats stay out in the cat house (barn) bed and breakfast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made those migration blocks too - ha! Your cat totally steals this blog post though - what a character!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing you have a Studio Supervisor to keep you on track - after all, you wouldn't get nearly as much done without her. Ahem. Tongue firmly in cheek.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great supervisor pictures. My supervisor has begun to watch over my shoulder, literally. And I like your hodge-podge. Very graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to oooh and aaah at! Especially Darla! She's seems to know what is best! (And she's adorable!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just laughing here as I read your post. Bowties! Now I want to make bowties! Your finished quilt is so pretty with the layout you chose. I really like that quilting stitch, but my Janome doesn't have it. I've found something similar, but I still like that big scallop effect the best! Happy Sunday, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome kitty helper!! And I am like you - there are a lot of squirrels lurking in my studio these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on ALL you've done. The cool improv quilt is lovely and you've done some good things with the purples. Love your Geese Migration blocks. I checked your,living room, which is so tasteful and has a sense of peace. That chair of yours and the large pillows add just the right graphic elements. The dark floors are a wonderful choice. You can both be so proud of a beautiful room, knowing how much work you both did. Relax in front of your beautiful fireplace wall now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've made a lot of progress on using up your purple scraps. I love your Geese Migration blocks. I've got that pattern and maybe it will come out to play after I finish the graduation quilts. Good luck with all your stitching plans. You've got a lot going on in the sewing room. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is so much work in your cool improv quilt! It looks great as a finished piece, hope you are enjoying it. On behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's FAL.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!