Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Creative Whirlwind

My week at Gerry’s beautiful homestead was way too short!  Gerry (Olderrose) is not just a creative stitcher and crazy quilter, as you probably know.  She is a painter, artist extraordinaire, and a fantastic chef as well.  We had her delicious lamb stew almost every day for lunch, and I told her that if there was a way to take it on the plane, I would have!!   :-)
Gerry’s artwork in her kitchen
She had me serve as her sous chef, and as such I learned how to make a couple tasty dishes that I will be treating Bruce with this week.  And Ron (Gerry’s DH) was generous with his wines and Stilton cheese, so the dining was fit for a king!  My only regret is that I didn’t photograph the tasty dishes she prepared with such flair!


But I did get lots of photos of Morris and my dear Molly.  Molly is normally Ron’s dog, but she and I became fast friends and cuddlemates.  
Molly braves the snow to “visit” the birds
Don’t let Morris’ innocent expression (“Who, me?”) fool you!  This little guy is as mischievous as he is cute!


Antique-ing in Coeur d’Alene

Gerry treated me to a wonderful lunch in Coeur d’Alene.  Great burgers and the best apple cider I have ever tasted!  

This was the (lovely but cold!) view from our table. It was only a half hour drive to get there, but an hour and a half to get back once the big snowstorm moved in.

 Ron and Molly

As Gerry leads the way to the barn, our four-footed friends are never far behind!

Not a good photo, but it does show some of Gerry’s whimsical decorating in what was the gift shop area of the barn...

We braved the weather to visit the barn every day.  The propane heater kept us warm on all except the most frigid day.

But even when the temperatures hovered in the single digits, we managed to get a lot of “work” done!

 This is the view from Gerry’s stitching area and chair 
Grosbeaks at the feeder
The bell, wheel and barrows stand as snow-covered reminders of warmer days

We were able to spend hours and hours every day stitching, talking, laughing and generating ideas.  So many exciting things are happening in the CQ world now like the upcoming CQ Adventure in CT, Allie’s book and Pat’s magazine) that the ideas (both good and ridiculous) and conversation kept us in regular fits of laughter!

Dear Gerry and I pose for a shot as Ron graciously wielded the camera. Up until then, it was me taking a picture of Gerry or Gerry taking one of me.  What wonderful memories we made!

 Thank you, Gerry, for sharing your home and your friendship!

Cathy maroon

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I can certainly see that you BOTH has a grand time of it! How lucky you are to get to visit with Gerry, her work is so inspirational! Of course, your's is too! I hope to make a retreat trip one of these years, and see you both!
    Kathy
    www.shawkl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time was had by all! Very beautiful picture of the Lake as the storm moved in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you both had such a wonderful time during your visit to Gerry's! I love the photo of you two together, such happy lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My only regret is that we didn't get to walk in my woods... Next time.. What fun and the best part is that I'll be seeing you soon!!! Hugs Gerry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that is GREAT!!! And thanks for the links, now to save and order myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Cathy, what a hoot you must have had with Gerry! And that barn! Such wonderful hidden treasures just waiting for discovery. By the way, did you end up in the bins???
    Always the very best of wishes
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what I'd give to be in that barn! What a wonderful time you had, you two together had to be a riot. Good for both of you, though I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the two of you had a wonderful time. It is always so fun to share your passion with someone else who really knows how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful!!!! I"m so jealous...it looks like the perfect week! You're such a good friend....I can just tell...Looking forward to meeting you SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great time did you have with Gerry, looking forward meeting you both in April!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that last picture is so good. It is my favorite picture of you of all time! If Gerry comes to visit, I want to meet her. Bring her out to my barn and go through my stuff!!!!

    Bev in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special time you lucky girls! - Cathy L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I am just as jealous as all get out! I'm so happy for you both that you had this time together. It looks like it couldn't have been better!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathy!

    It looks like you had a real good time there, especially in that barn ;-)) And you look great yourself! I think you look like Barbra Streisand! May I say that? Anyway, you look happy! ;-))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!